Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Brazilian Stuffed Peppers and watching Dexter

Brazilian Stuffed Peppers are what I made for dinner tonight and they were full of delicious flavor and weird combinations. They are from my favorite cookbook of our house, Eve's copy of The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. I recommend it Highly.

Let me warn you a little - the ingredients in this recipe were a little weird. But the combination ended up being pretty cool and unique and yummy - the biggest thing I would change is adding some spices (the recipe doesn't call for any). So go ahead and experiment if you wanna try it!

I started the evening with two pots of boiling water - a little one to hard-boil the 4 eggs that were later minced and added to the stuffing and a big one to put the peppers in once I cut off their little heads and took out the seedy inside bits. I picked red ones cause they were on sale, but I bet they would be way prettier with different colors. Just make sure they can stand on their own or it's hard to move them around when it's oven-time.


They bobbed around in there for a minute or two and then I had to take them out and rinse them in cold water so they didn't get too soft, but were still soft enough to cut and eat without messy troubles.


Next I minced an onion and sauted it in a skillet with a little salt and some olive oil for about 2 minutes. While the onions were getting soft and delicious-smelling, I minced a can of olives too and added them. The recipe called for some Cream of Wheat (1/2 cup) and water (1/4 cup), but that was too weird for me and I didn't think anyone would eat the rest of the Cream of Wheat so I used some leftover quinoa that we had hanging out in the fridge instead. Word on the street is that it is a Super Grain.



After another minute, I took it off the heat and added 1/2 of yummy raisins, the chopped up hard-boiled eggs and some black pepper, and then some parsley we happened to have because there was no green in the mix. One thing I would do next time is use currents instead of raisins or maybe heat the raisins with a little water or wine so they are less wrinkly and more plump and warm. Actually, adding red wine to the whole mixture sounds like a really awesome plan that I whole-heartedly endorse. Not too much though, or it'll be too wet.

Anyway, I had preheated the oven to 350 degrees and I opened a large can of diced tomatoes and spread them over the bottom of the baking dish. I was low on funds though. You should use fresh tomatoes cause the canned ones were kind of icky. (This dish was a learning experience, can you tell? I make the mistakes so you don't have to!) Then, I filled each little pepper, stood it in the baking dish, put its little hat back on, and baked the for 30 min, covered loosely in foil.



They were a pretty good success!

Sometimes, I am a girl who chooses not to read and watch TV instead. Right now is one of those times and I will be watching Dexter for the remainder on this evening. Since that is my plan, I decided I should mention how much I enjoy Dexter and how good the producers are at making me conscious that I am rooting for a serial killer who enjoys the feeling of murdering others and has no feelings for others. I like it when things make me feel uncomfortable; it is something that I do for fun. Maybe you do too? If so, watch Dexter!

No comments:

Post a Comment