Friday, February 12, 2010

Scones and Joey Comeau

Today was a day of productivity! It was 5:00 when I discovered I had done everything I need to do this evening (except make a flyer for Muggle Quidditch, but that's okay). "Let's make some scones!" suggested one of my multiple personalities. It was a date.

Note: I doubled this recipe to feed Beauty Palace's (this is the name of our house) dinner guests for Valentine's Day. It made 16 scones.

First I mixed 3 1/2 cups of flour with 6 tablespoons sugar, 5 teaspoons of baking power and 1 teaspoon of salt. Then I cut 2/3 of a cup of butter into the dry stuff with knives til it all got beautiful and crumbly and delicious.



Next I beat 2 eggs and added them with a teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup chocolate chips. The last ingredient Betty Crocker wanted me to use was 8-12 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Well, I just bought a bunch of whipping cream last week to try to make mousse for Christine's birthday and that totally didn't work texturally. So we had a bunch of slightly whipped cream with sugar and egg whites mixed in in the fridge already. This was part of the choice for scones because, as much as we like yummy things, even Beauty Palace will not snack on a huge bowl of whipped cream. So I put that in there instead.


Then I ignored Betty again and baked the scones and 375 degrees not 400, for 14 minutes. And I made them heart-shaped, for Valentine's Day! I did this with my hands and it was great fun!






As they baked, I whipped the failed mousse more properly and also made it pink because I am excessively cheery about holidays and things.




My non-conventional whipping cream worked in both parts of the process! (I did not allow Robbie to eat this scone yet, so if he looks slightly resentful that is why)




Delicious! I love pictures of scones!

As for reading, I recently read a short story by Joey Comeau of internet (particularly a softer world) fame. It's called "The girl who couldn't come" and it about what you think it is about. It is very sweet and sexy and you will LOVE IT. I love pretty much everything I read by Mista Joey Comeau, not only because of his dark humor, but also his obviously natural, yet subtle, bullying ability to make everyone feel highly uncomfortable at unexpected moments. A true talent indeed!

See also "One bloody thing after another"

1 comment:

  1. I've had to stop myself from eating those scones so many times

    ReplyDelete