Thursday, July 19, 2012

Another Cupcake Test: Rose Cherry Cupcakes

Rosebuds! Pretty, but not necessarily tasty!
I worked on another recipe for my exhibit in the RAW Mixology Showcase last night: Rose Cherry Cupcakes. These were delicious; far more delicious than the ones I tried to make last week with dried rosebuds. 
Luckily, the International Gourmet Market had a whole three choices on what brand of rosewater I wanted to use. It was by far the largest rosewater selection I have yet encountered, plus the market was full of other delightful products, like grape leaves for dolmas and Turkish Delight for tummy aches.

Rose Cherry Cupcake Recipe 

(makes 10 cupcakes)

Like before, I began by prepping my fruit. I pitted 30 cherries and diced them until I had a pile of fairly small cherry chunks.

Then, I put them in a saucepan over low heat. I poured in some simple syrup to taste (probably a little less than a 1/4 cup) and about 2 tsp rose water. I let them cook and get soft and a bit syrupy in the pan for a bit, then let them cool to the side.




While they cooled, I whipped in the mixer:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar

When they were creamy, I added:
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup coconut milk


Then I sifted:
3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt



Add the flour mixture, bit by bit, to the butter, sugar, egg mixture already in the bowl. Mix until just combined.

Add:
2 tsp rosewater
Your cooked cherries

to the batter and swirl with a toothpick so the colors are lovely and swirled but not completely combined.

Pour into a baking tin and bake at 350 degrees for 25-27 minutes.




Yum!


I also frosted the little guys with a tasty whipped cream frosting! I love this recipe because it is not too sweet and you can decorate with it AND it will stay relatively firm even if it sits out on a warm day, as long as it's not in direct sunlight. Perfect! It even stood up to my food coloring, as my frosting color powders haven't come in the mail yet. What a strong little guy I cooked up!


Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe
(makes 2 1/2 cups)

Mix:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 tsp vanilla (I used rose water instead)

Do this until it is completely white and doubled in size (10 min)

Leave the mixer on and pour in:
1/4 cup whipping cream

Mix for another 2-4 minutes and add:
1/4 cup confectioners sugar! Yes, only 1/4 and it'll be stiff enough! Hooray!

Incorporate that and you're done!









So tasty and pretty!



In other news, I got my business cards in the mail today! They are so cute and delightful! Hopefully someone needs some tasty treats for a wedding, birthday party, or bar mitzvah soon ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment