Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fall Cookie Week! Muddy Buddy Cookies

It is Day Two for Fall Cookie Week! Well, actually I guess it is Day Four, but we're busy people and since this is the second day that has actually seen the completion of cookies, we'll go with Day Two.


That's Joe's hand in the background grabbing one.
Because they are DELICIOUS.
In this house, we have a Thing about Chex Muddy Buddies. A love affair, you might say. We have made them in many iterations: Mexican Chocolate style, S'mores bar style, the ole fashioned way. For Cookie Week, I decided I wanted to create a Muddy Buddies Cookie.

The outside, obviously, would have to be chocolate dipped and covered in powdered sugar. But what would the cookie be like? How could I make Chex cereal into a cookie? In the end, I just made peanut butter cookies (any old recipe will do, I happened to use this one because I haven't found a favorite yet) and crumbled a bunch of Chex cereal into the dough. It worked perfectly!



Chex Muddy Buddy Cookies
(makes about 30 cookies)

Follow the recipe above or any peanut butter cookie recipe to prepare the dough.




Crush with your hands:
5-6 handfuls of Chex cereal (I used Apple Cinnamon cause it's the tastiest)

Work the cereal into your dough with a spatula, spoon, or your fingers. be sure to do this step before refrigerating the dough, cause otherwise it will be difficult.













After refrigerating (usually 2 hours or so), form the dough in balls on your cookie sheet and bake according to recipe directions.



Let cookies cool completely before dipping them. I left mine overnight, even. You don't want them soft at all.








Now the dipping!

Pour in a microwave-safe bowl:
1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips
1 stick butter

I messed around with the proportions until I got a nice thin consistency. You can always add more butter or more chocolate as needed. Microwave and stir in between rounds until you have warm, thin chocolate.

In another bowl, pour about 2 cups of powdered sugar.

For dipping, I used my left hand to dip the cookies in the chocolate and my right to cover them with powdered sugar. This helped keep things a bit tidier. I'm sure you can figure out a good method for yourself.

I dipped each cookie, then placed it back on the tray and parchment paper to set. I also ate one or two right away :)





Tasty plateful of the finished product!
Look at that tasty little Chex in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment