Monday, July 30, 2012

RAW Artist Showcase: Oodles of Cupcakes

Last Thursday I was showcased for "Cupcake Art" at RAW San Jose's Mixology event. I had a great time, sold a bunch of cupcakes, and got a ton of feedback, ranged from pleased with my little cakes to downright enthralled (Do note, some of my fans had had several drinks. Still.) I've already blogged about my Rose Cheery cupcakes here and my Earl Grey and Chrysanthemum Peach cupcakes here, so I'll focus this entry on the new-comers.




After all that testing of fruit and florals, I was really craving something chocolate-y. My first impulse was to make half of the rose cherry cupcakes into chocolate rose cherry cupcakes, which I did.


All you need to do to make them chocolate is substitute 1/3-1/4 of the flour in the original recipe with cocoa powder and continue baking as usual. (So 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cocoa powder for a small batch).




But I wanted something else even more deeply chocolate and decadent. I settled for mocha cupcakes with a layer of chocolate caramel. I based the recipe on this one on Bakingdom, but I tweaked it a bit. She has you brew 2 cups of coffe and add cocoa powder, but I have some delicious Godiva Chocolate Truffle coffee that I wanted to use instead. Since the original cook felt that the coffee flavor didn't come through as strongly as she'd hoped, I made my coffe extra strong.


 So for my version of Mocha Caramel Cupcakes:
(makes 24 cupcakes)

Fill coffee filter with:

3 generous tablespoons Godiva coffee (or another chocolate-y blend)

Pour boiling water through it over a measuring bowl until the liquid reaches the 2 cup level. Then stir in:

1 1/5 packets instant Columbian coffee (or your preferred blend, just be sure it's strong)




Put the coffe in the fridge to cool and sift together:
2 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt


And cream in the mixer:
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar




Add:

3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla


Alternate adding the coffee mixture and the flour mixture to the mixer, mixing each time until just incorporated and ending with flour. 






I poured my batter into a cupcake tin that I greased with shortening because I wanted to slice them in half and layer with the chocolate caramel sauce (which I didn't have time to make, and bought - Archer Farms brand). You can do it that way or bake as usual with cupcake liners. Regardless, bake for 20-23 minutes at 350 degrees. Sadly, I accidentally didn't get any close up photos of the finished products, but you can catch a glimpse at the end of this post, and here are the finished cakes.


Now, for my final cupcake, as some of you might know, I wanted to do a Jasmine Fig Cupcake. I adore the scent of jasmine, and love to bike around town during the summer, catching whiffs of it here and there, so I would have loved to capture it in a cupcake, unfortunately, none of my methods were successful and so I fell back on the tried and true lavender. These were delicious and sold out, just like my Lavender Honey Cupcakes last month.

Lavender Raspberry Cupcakes
(makes 24 cupcakes):

First, I wanted to make lavender sugar, a fairly easy process. In the food processor, combine:
1/2 cup sugar

2 heaping tbsp dried lavender

You may need to pick out bits of lavender that didn't get fully ground.


You also want to crush:
1/3 cup raspberries

And cook them in a saucepan with a bit of sugar in order to evaporate away some of the water. I even added a little cornstarch (like, in 1/4 tsp increments) to thicken things up. I then put that in the fridge to cool while I prepared my batter.


Now we can use the lavender sugar with the recipe. Cream together:
1 cup butter
1/2 lavender sugar
1 1/2 cup white sugar


Add:
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift:
3 cups cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
a pinch of salt

Alternate adding the flour mixture and 1 cup milk to the mixing bowl, mixing until just incorporated and ending with the flour. Then fold in the raspberry mixture. Pour into a baking tin and cook for 20-23 minutes at 350 degree.



Baked and frosted!

My final recipe is the tasty frosting I used on the cupcakes that I didn't use super fancy piping techniques for (the lavender raspberries above is one of them):

Pour into the mixing bowl:
1/4 cup vanilla instant pudding powder
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla

Mix it all on low speed for a minute or two, then bump up to medium high speed. Continue to mix for 6 or 7 minutes, or until the consistency is somewhat stiff. This frosting will not be as stiff as butter cream, but you can pipe it out into nice little blobs on top of your cupcakes, especially if you let it sit for 15 minutes or so in the fridge. If it sits out for awhile, it will droop a bit, especially if you haven't let it sit in the fridge. For my show, since they were sitting out, I frosted them in the morning, let them sit in the fridge for most of the day, then took them out at night and they held up pretty well.



The other cool thing about this frosting is that you can add things too it. I added food color to get the lavender shade and added lemon juice and zest to the frosting for the Earl Grey Cupcakes. This can make the frosting a bit less stiff, so beware :)

Pictures from the event!












2 comments:

  1. You are truly amazing, Em. The spread is impressive and well thought out, especially considering that you're juggling working and school. Keep going lady!

    ReplyDelete